How to use a Digital Multimeter effectively – Some Tips and Tricks
- Getting Started – Connect the probes on the multimeter similar to the configuration for measuring resistance.
- Turn the knob to select the correct range and type of the voltage that is to be measured. This means that you need to select whether your voltage falls in the range of mV or V and also whether it is AC or DC. For multimeters with an auto range option, this step can be omitted because the multimeter will choose the correct range automatically.
- Measure AC Voltage – To measure AC voltage you need to place the probes on either end of the component (irrespective of the polarity) and note down the readings.
And now here is how to measure DC voltage and provides additional tips and tricks.
- While measuring DC voltage polarity comes into the picture, and one must ensure that the black probe is placed on the negative end and the other probe is placed on the positive end of the voltage source.
- Note down the reading being displayed by the multimeter. This is the value of the voltage in the corresponding unit.
Tip- Sometimes the component may be placed at a difficult to reach location on the machine, in such scenarios the “Hold” feature of the multimeter can be used to save the last measured value, which you can read even after removing the probes.
In the next section, we will discuss how to measure current with the help of a multimeter.