Windows XP Emulator for Android
At last, we’ve come to one of the most favored Windows version – Windows XP. Not mentioning it’s quite outdated nowadays! Though, being quite a lite version of all its followers’ versions, Windows XP is much more usable on Android (comparing to other Windows versions) and have different ways of installation.
There are several options for installing Windows XP on Android and all of them can’t do without emulators for Windows. In this article, we are going to look through the main 3 algorithms:
- Using the bunch an emulator with a virtual machine
- Using a special emulator app called Limbo PC Emulator
- Using a special Android app called Windows Emulator (the easiest way)
Install Windows XP on Android with QEMU and BOCHS
This is a very complicated, multi-step way which results in Windows on Android working very slow. So, this is highly recommended only for playing and general self-education, not for real work!
The entire process is divided into two big parts: the preparation and the main part. While preparation, you’ll need to get the following files which are going to help you:
- Download the QEMU manager – here
- Download the BOCHS APK – here
- Download the SDL.ZIP file –here
- Download the blank image file – here
- Then you need to rename this IMG file into “c.img”
We’ll need all of these a little bit later. As soon as you are done with that, you’re all set and ready to get to the main part. For that, you will need an Android device itself (tablet) and some PC to do the needed installations.
- Install QEMU manager on your device
- Open QEMU manager
- Hit the “+” button to create a new Virtual Machine (VM)
- Leave everything to the default.
- Now click “Drives” and “HardDisk” options then browse the c.img file we’ve prepared earlier, and insert it.
- Then click on CD-ROM and insert your windows installation DVD.
- Select “Use Physical Drive” option to start booting Windows from the CD/DVD drive. In case you have neither CD/DVD ROM in your PC nor the CD/DVD with Windows XP, utilize even better way of getting a Windows XP ISO file and using it as the “Physical Drive”.
- After that install Windows XP in the virtual machine by following instructions provided by the Windows installer.
- Now you need to copy the files to the Android Device:
- Create a folder with “SDL” title in the main catalog of your Android SD card
- Copy the SDL.ZIP file to SDL folder on your Android.
- Copy the c.img file there as well.
- Copy BOCHS.APK into that folder to set it up on your Android
- On Android device just tap on BOCHS icon and booting into Windows should start. Just follow the prompts to complete the installation via BOCHS.
Beware that installing Windows XP into the VM takes about an hour and the first boot of Windows XP on Android takes about 15 minutes, so be patient. And don’t even try to use Windows XP installed in such a way on Android for work or some of your projects. You’ll get neither sound nor internet connection and very slow performance.