82573 NVM Map and Programming Information Guide
This document covers programming information for the Non-Volatile Memory (NVM) of the Intel® 82573. For purposes of this document, 82573 refers to the 82573E, 82573V and 82573L, unless otherwise stated.
The Intel® 82573 requires non-volatile content for device configuration, log events and firmware extensions. The NVM might contain the following four main regions:
- LAN Configuration Space for Hardware.
- This area is accessed by hardware and loaded by the 82573 after power-up, PCI reset de-assertion, D3 to D0 transition, or software commanded EEPROM reset (CTRL_EXT.EE_RST).
- Firmware Space.
- This space is accessed by the 82573E/V in Alert Standard Format (ASF) mode or by the 82573E in Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT) mode. In ASF mode, the 82573E/V loads the data following power-up, ASF soft reset (ASF FRC_RST), or software commanded ASF EEPROM read (ASF FRC_EELD). In Intel® AMT mode, this space is protected against software access, and the firmware might access it at any time.
- LAN Configuration Space for Software.
- This space is used by software only. Register descriptions are listed here as a convention for the software only and are ignored by the 82573.
- Boot Expansion Space.
- This is accessed by software and is used by the BIOS at boot time.